PNG military hand over three suspects in police officer killing

ACP Anthony Wagambie Jnr
PNG's Assistant Police Commissioner for Port Moresby Anthony Wagambie Jnr ... "police are on normal operations and we have taken control." Image: EMTV News

By EMTV Online

The PNG Defence Force has handed over three suspects for the killing of police Senior Inspector Andrew Tovere to the investigating police.

Assistant Police Commissioner Anthony Wagambie Jnr was accompanied by three officers to attend a muster parade at Port Moresby’s Murray Barracks yesterday.

The attendance was prompted by the invitation of the commanding officer in charge of Support Company purposely to address the troops.

READ MORE: Scott Waide: Look at the big picture, not just a breaking news lust

PNG Senior Inspector Andrew Tovere … killed in a clash with off-duty soldiers. Image: The National

“I was given the opportunity to speak to our soldiers and after this parade we escorted the three suspects involved in late SIP Tovere’s murder [on May 8] to Boroko Police Station at around 10am.

“The three suspects were handed over by the PNGDF military police and are now being processed at Boroko Police Station,” he said in a statement.

Assistant Commissioner Wagambie said the three suspects would go through normal process of interview and charges will be laid against them.

“We will as much as possible get them to attend court today for mention to get their warrants to move them to Bomana CS.

“I have assured the military hierarchy and rank and file on parade that the security of the three soldiers is guaranteed.

“We have mobile squads stationed at Boroko Police Station to ensure their security is protected…

“I want to assure members of the PNGDF and residents of NCD [National Capital District] that police are on normal operations and we have taken control as of last Saturday after the incident…

“Both the murder and the subsequent confrontation at ATW is very unfortunate. Commissioner of Police will issue a separate statement in regards to this.”

Wagambie added that “normalcy” had returned to police activities as of Saturday evening and is calling on the police and PNGDF to remain calm as the process took its course.

Republished under a collaborative partnership with EMTV News.

Print Friendly, PDF & Email