The EMTV News report of the eviction of the villagers.
By Godwin Eki in Port Moresby
Hundreds of poor Papua New Guineans have been left homeless after their houses were destroyed by bulldozers without warning close to Jacksons International Airport in the capital of Port Moresby.
The people were still coming to terms yesterday with the loss of their homes with their eviction reportedly authorised by a business firm and police.
Community leader Paul Kop told EMTV News that their homes had been destroyed during the day when the men were away working and only women and elderly people were left at home.
He said although the villagers had been given a directive from Assistant Police Commissioner, Sylvester Kalaut, and a court order, the eviction notice was not sighted as proof of eviction.
Kop said the people should have been given one or two weeks’ notice before their homes were destroyed.
He said the majority of the homeless people were from the Southern Highlands, while others were from Morobe, Goilala, Chimbu, Enga and local Motu-Koitabuans.
He said 218 homes had been destroyed by the bulldozers.
Ten trade stores and five poultry projects with a total of 6000 chickens were also destroyed, he said.
National Capital District Governor Powes Parkop was reportedly arranging some assistance.
Papua New Guinea faces a general election on June 24.
Godwin Eki is an EMTV News reporter.