Port Moresby hospital chief says shooting death reports ‘false, misleading’


Four University of PNG students were rushed to Port Moresby General Hospital in critical condition earlier today, along with four others with minor injuries. All four students in critical condition were stabilised, and two were reportedly discharged, reports EMTV News.

Reports of deaths due to police shootings in the Papua New Guinea capital are false and misleading, says the Port Moresby Hospital chief executive Grant R. Muddle.

“There are no deaths or dead on arrival (DOA) patients due to police altercation with university students at Port Moresby General Hospital,’ he said in a statement tonight.

“Port Moresby General Hospital’s emergency department confirms there [have been] no deaths of university students after the alleged police shooting at the University of PNG’s Waigani campus.

“We have so far received a total of eight gunshot wound casualties, all eight were stabilised and admitted at the hospital. We have discharged two casualties, with the further six patients admitted and all in a stable condition,” Muddle said.

“Among the injuries were: a 16-year-boy attending Waigani Primary School, a hospital guardian, a man from the public and 11 male and two female university students,” Muddle said.

“The other student has the gunshot wound to the left elbow (compound fracture) recovering after surgery at the main operating theatre.”

A third student who was brought to the hospital by the St John Ambulance had soft tissue injuries to lower part of the abdomen and lower limbs but he was stable, reports Loop PNG.

No bodies
There had been no deaths and no bodies had been brought to the hospital.

“We are monitoring the situation closely at our Emergency Department and PMGH is aware of the current situation. The department has closed down all the outpatient services and the emergency pathway plan has already been activated.”

Muddle also raised another incident that while the crowds were outside the hospital, police had shot the tear gas into an emergency department entrance that caused the crowds to rush inside and the patients were affected by the gas.

“I cannot make further comments or speculation on the happening of today as PMGH is a treatment facility, but I do ask that all media refrain from making seriously false and misleading statements.

“Many of the media in this country need to have far greater accountability. Many of the stories being released by the media are just fiction at best and have no basis of any factual content, especially when you look at the number of deaths being quoted as occurring at PMGH.

The statement added that the chief executive was greatly saddened by today’s happenings.

Other UPNG shooting reports

Print Friendly, PDF & Email


  1. So what are we to make of this? Who do we believe? Did anybody die, either at the scene or later? How badly are people injured? Who gave the order to shoot?

Comments are closed.